Saturday, July 3, 2010

World Archives Project



I have just recently started keying in documents for the World Archives Project on Ancestry. I had joined in January 2009, but life obviously had gotten in the way. Last night I began keying in my first documents. I decided to start on the Pennsylvania U.S. Naturalization Records with the hope that perhaps I would come across some information I might need.

Sadly, the only immigrants I have encountered thus far are mostly of German and Russian descent.The earlier records must have already been keyed in as I am only transcribing records from the 1920's. On a bright note, I am anxiously awaiting the release of these records as I might be able to find some much needed information that I have been looking for.

They are currently sponsoring a World Record Challenge. Apparently volunteers have keyed in and arbitrated over a million records every ten days for the last month. Impressive! They have a Facebook group for those who frequent the social network site.

To join the project, click on the link above. One will need to download software, but it is definitely worth the time and effort to do so. The more records transcribed, the more information that will be available for all of us.





No comments:

Post a Comment